Monday, February 27, 2012

Oscar Buzz

“When I was a boy, I always saw myself as a hero in comic books and in movies. I grew up believing this dream.”  --Elvis Presley

Ah, the magic of movies...  Who doesn't remember being a kid, seeing your first Disney movie at the drive-in or theater?  The excitement of the big screen, the room darkens, the music begins and the magic happens!  The best movies allow you to not only escape into the story but to feel the emotions of the characters, root for the heros, and decry the  villans who will "get theirs" in the end.  Movies are, for many of us, an escape into a realm of adventure and possibility.  It allows you to become the protagonist, the hero, for the duration of the film. 

The Oscars are one of my favorite awards shows.  I typically only see one or two of the nominated films prior to the awards ceremony but it doesn't stop me from choosing a favorite based on word of mouth or subject matter.  Once the Oscars are over, I typically rent or go see one or more of the films that were nominated out of curiosity.  This year, I'm certain I will be looking out for theaters showing "The Artist."  It scared me away prior to Oscar night because it was a silent movie and I wasn't sure I would be up for that.  After several recommendations from friends and the hullaballoo from last night, I'm certain I will go see it.  Plus, could that dog be any cuter?

This year, I felt the Oscars had a totally retro feel.  Billy Crystal as host is usually entertaining for me.  I didn't feel last night's performance was his best but I was entertained.  I could barely understand his lyrics in his beginning number but I do enjoy his humor so the rest of the night was good.  I thought it got better as it went on.  Chris Rock, wearing his best Esperanza Spalding hairdo, was hilarious as usual and my favorite presenter.  I'm loving the afro, on both him AND Esperanza, and it's a trend I hope is here to stay for a while!  I had to leave the room during those crazy Cirque du Soleil acrobats though.  They really weired me out!  Freakishy bendy people are not my cup of chai!

My favorite part of last night, however, had to be the excitement of the "new people" who won.  I absolutely LOVE when a first time winner is announced, even if it's for "set decoration" or some catergory I know nothing about.  Unlike the famous-faced actors who tend to have speeches prepared and are poised and predictable, the first time unknowns are often so appreciative and so hysterical, I am often crying by the end of their speeches.  While many people may not appreciate the "filler" catergories, I love the chance to people watch!

My "close second" favorite part of the night, actually probably a tie, was the guy who won for the Descendants (not sure what category) making fun of Angelina Jolie's leg pose!  What the heck was she DOING anyhow???  We get it, your dress is slit to there and your leg is toned and really REALLY white. Personally, I think she just stuck it out there so you wouldn't notice those grossly-skinny arms.  And she did it ALL NIGHT!  I'm guessing wine had something to do with it. I loved that 10 minutes after that laughable moment, Angelina's leg had it's own Twitter account!  Hysterical!

But enough about the movies and the show itself.  What I'm REALLY in it for is the fashion and the people watching!  I sat down at 5 pm and turned on E! for the Red Carpet Parade and watched until the Oscars began!  Oh, how those three hours fly by!  While my daily wardrobe consists of JCPenney sweaters and comfy pants, I am a fashionista at heart!  I have been pleasantly surprised this awards season by the overall lack of bad taste.  From the Emmys to the Grammys and all the way to the Oscars, fashion has been fabulous this year!  Last night did not disappoint!  While, yes, some people were not looking their best, most were very Oscar-presentable!  Here are some of my favorites (only the ladies though, sorry gents!):

Best Overall:  Stacy Kiebler.  George Clooney's arm candy looked anything but cheap in her fabulous Marchesa gown!  I saw it on a model at the Marchesa show and Stacy looked even better!  It helps that she's like 6 feet tall and all legs but that gown was EXQUISITE! 
Second Runner Up:  Gwenyth Paltrow.  Stunning in that all-white, form fitting dress with a fricking CAPE!  Not many capes end up on the best dressed list but that thing was FABULOUS!!!

Best Color:  Penelope Cruz in her gray-blue Armani gown actually made me gasp.  Love, love, LOVE that color!  Her dress and hair were lovely, but that color was stunning!

Best Jewelry:  Viola Davis' bracelet!  A large silver cuff, similar to the one Gwenyth wore but more detailed.  I want it.  I need it.  I may try to steal it...

Best Hair:  Well, since we're already talking about her, Viola Davis again!  She went au natural, saying beforehand her husband was encouraging her to leave her wig at home.  I waited with baited breath to see what she would do.  That close-cropped do just added to her beauty, if you ask me!  Then again, like I said before, I'm all about the afro and think she's a lady who can pull of natural hair with style and grace.  She should consider just growing it out.  Or leave it as is, it's just fantastic!
Second Runner Up:  Jessica Chastain.  Her auburn locks were styled in a loose, tousled curls was beautiful.  I wish that was my hair.  I'd let everyone touch it just once!

Best Cleavage:  Jennifer Lopez.  Not in her "did I have a nip slip?" dress.  That thing had these cups in it that made her look to me like she had her regular boobs and then a separate set.  It was strange.  I loved, however, the purple frock she wore to the Vanity Fair party.  I'm not sure who made it but her lady parts looked good!

Best Dress From Behind:  Rooney Mara's dress was strange from the front.  I didn't understand the flaps on the bodice and it hurt my eyes!  But, from behind, that thing was magnificent! 

Some of my other favorite looks of the night:  Kate Mara in Elie Saab, Maya Rudolph in Johanna Johnson (that dark purple was gorgeous!), Octavia Spencer (girl knows how to dress a fuller figure!)

Big Misses: Melissa McCarthy (she should call Octavia), Missi Pyle (not a nice color or style, even if it WAS made from cruelty-free silk worms!  eh...), Anna Faris (any dress that allows me to see the reflection of the camera man does NOT get a good nod!), Sandra Bullock (not a good fit)

Least Favorite of the Night: Shailene Woodley's Valentino may have been lovely on someone 30 years older than her.  I didn't understand it at all for a 20-something starlet.  Was she afraid of the sun?  Or color?  Yikes.

Let me know what were your favorite moments of the night!  And who do YOU think wore it best?


No comments:

Post a Comment